Connect with your FPGA
- Make sure that you have the correct driver installed.
- (Linux only) You will need permissions to use the Serial port. You can permanently gain the required permission by adding yourself to the
dialoutgroup. To do this, open your terminal and execute
sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER. You will have to logout and login after doing this for changes to take effect.
- Open VHDPlus IDE and select the SerialMonitor. If it is not visible just use
Serial Monitorto activate it.
Serial Port. The Baud Rate should match the one you are using in your UART Interface (Documentation coming soon).
Test if everything works
You can use this simple code to see if everything works.
- Create an empty project and paste this into the main VHDP file.
Simple Serial Monitor example
SIN : IN STD_LOGIC;
SOUT : OUT STD_LOGIC;
SOUT <= SIN; --Redirect input directly to output
- Compile the project and program your FPGA.
- Use the steps above to connect with your FPGA. The
Baud Rateshould not matter in this case since we use no UART Interface.
- Use the textbox and send something. If everything works as expected, the string you sent should get redirected and written into the Serial Monitor.